Our Slogan: “Know your food. Know your water. Know your community.”
*What is a food system?
A food system includes all processes and infrastructure involved in feeding a population: growing, harvesting, processing, packaging, transporting, marketing, consumption, and disposal of food and food-related items.
New Policy Ends (as of Board 2013 Retreat)
Under the Policy Governance model adopted by the Board of Directors, “Ends” describe the desired outcomes of the GBCFC cooperative community. Our Ends take into account a “triple bottom line” that reflects the co-op’s economic, social, and environmental values. The co-op’s General Manager implements and measures achievement of Ends, with oversight by the Board.
As a result of our efforts, we will have:
1. Broad access to local and organic food.
2. A knowledgeable and empowered community that can make informed food choices.
3. A gathering place where people can gain a greater awareness of the 7 cooperative principles through engagement, ownership and community.
4. An economically viable, cooperatively owned business that creates a social and economic network that is just, trustworthy, and transformative.
5. A stronger local food system, which includes a marketplace that uses fair and just buying practices to support growers, vendors, and artisans from within our food shed.
6. A local business that models, practices, and promotes environmental stewardship.
7. A cooperative work environment that is respectful and diverse, providing a livable wage and benefits to a kind and knowledgeable staff .