We are OPEN on Thanksgiving Day from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.…just in case you need last minute essentials like organic heavy whip, local pie pumpkins, organic pie crusts, vegan marshmallows, local potatoes or FRESH local herbs. We still have a few organic Turkeys available for sale and a variety of Vegan and Vegetarian Roasts.
In the spirit of thankfulness, we would like to encourage all members to take a moment and SUPPORT OUR SMALL FAMILY FARMERS by making sure that Bills in favor of Big Agriculture don’t put them out of business.
UPDATE: Senate Bill 510 — (The Food Safety Modernization Bill…a very dangerous bill that could really hurt our small local farmers and producers)
- A cloture vote passed on Wednesday, November 17, but . . .
- there will be ANOTHER cloture vote on the 29th on an amended “manager’s” version of the bill.
- As we understand it, this new version will include the Tester-Hagan amendments to exempt small farms, as we have consistently demanded.
- In fact, if this new version DOESN’T pass cloture, the Senate will revert to considering the bill WITHOUT the small farm exemption; obviously we don’t want that to happen.
- As a reminder, it takes 60 votes to pass cloture
A simple stance to take when calling our senators:
a) support the Tester-Hagan small farm exemptions, but
b) oppose the final bill. https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/111
Call both senators today–it takes less than a minute!
Senator Harry Reid (202) 224-3542 OR Senator John Ensign (202) 224-6244
Thank you and have a wonderful, warm Thanksgiving!
Your Great Basin Community Food Co-op